Leave out lilies this Valentine's Day if your loved one has a cat

Finding the perfect Valentine’s gift can be difficult, and with Valentine’s Day fast approaching you may be tempted to go for the ‘safe’ option of flowers.

Present your loved one with a beautiful bouquet and they’re sure to be impressed, right? Not if they own a cat and you’ve chosen lilies…

This Valentine’s Day leave out lilies if your loved one has a cat as they can prove fatal. Sadly, each year many cats are poisoned by lilies, simply because people are unaware of the risks. 

Lilies contain a toxin that makes eating even the smallest amount of any part of the plant – flowers, leaves, stem or pollen – extremely dangerous to cats. Even licking the pollen off their coat or drinking the water from a vase containing lilies can cause grave illness. Once ingested, the toxin causes severe damage to the kidneys, which can cause the kidneys to fail and even result in death.

Signs of lily poisoning include:
- Drooling
- Vomiting
- Refusing food
- Lethargy
- Depression

If you suspect your cat has been exposed to lilies take them to the vet immediately.

If you own a cat, you should never keep lilies in the house, nor should you gift cat lovers in your life lilies. Check bouquets for lilies and give the bouquet to a cat less friend if you find any.

For more information about lily poisoning and to download our ‘lethal lilies’ warning poster click here.


news date: 

04.02.2019