SEPTEMBER CAMPAIGN – DIY products
DIY products – a danger to cats?
AUGUST CAMPAIGN – Weedkillers
Should you be wary of weedkillers if you have a cat?
JULY CAMPAIGN – Toxic foods
JUNE CAMPAIGN – Detergents
MAY CAMPAIGN – Permethrin
APRIL CAMPAIGN – Microchipping
MARCH CAMPAIGN – Collar injuries
FEBRUARY CAMPAIGN – Road traffic accidents
JANUARY CAMPAIGN – Paracetamol poisoning in cats
DECEMBER CAMPAIGN – Christmas safety
NOVEMBER CAMPAIGN – Antifreeze poisoning
OCTOBER CAMPAIGN – Halloween and fireworks
SEPTEMBER CAMPAIGN – Lilies
AUGUST CAMPAIGN – Foreign bodies
JULY CAMPAIGN – Disinfectants
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
Has your cat ever been poisoned?
Every year we hear shocking and distressing cases of cats being taken to the vets due to accidental posionings and injuries that happen in the apparent 'safety' of their own home or garden. Some cats will survive especially if they receive veterinary treatment immediately, but for many others the outcome is not so good.
International Cat Care new 'Keeping Cats Safe' campaign will highlight the dangers that lurk in and around the home. We will be looking at household products which are toxic to cats (eg, lilies, disinfectants, paracetomol), cats eating strange things (eg, needles, rubber bands, wool) and accidental injuries (eg, from collars, falls, road traffic accidents).
The key message of the campaign is that prevention is better than cure and we hope that the campaign will spread widely to help prevent needless suffering and promote faster recognition and treatment following poisoning or injury.
We will be offering advice on how to minimise the risks, how to recognise the signs of poisoning/injury and what to do. For veterinary professionals, we will also be providing in depth advice on clinical signs, treatment and prognosis.
>More about the campaign
Other topics of interest
Electrical Safety for Pets
Electrical Safety First have recently produced some tips on electrical fire safety in the home for pet owners, which International Cat Care want to share. According to research conducted by Electrical Safety First, around 60,000 people in the UK have lost pets in electrical fires. To help keep pets safe, they have shared these tips:
- Make sure that plug sockets are not overloaded – if too many appliances draw power from one socket, it can overheat and catch fire.
- Never leave washing machines or dishwashers running when you are out of the house or asleep.
- Don’t plug a mobile phone in to charge and then forget about it.
- Check that plugs, sockets, lights and cables are not damaged or displaying burn marks.
- Don’t leave a portable heater unattended when excitable pets are running around the house!
- Don’t leave cables trailing – as well as being a trip hazard, they might be too good to resist for a pet looking for something to chew on.
- Don’t store anything that could easily catch fire on top of the microwave or near your fusebox or electricity meter.
- Use our online product checker to make sure that none of the electrical appliances in your home have been recalled. Visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/recall
Find out more at www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/for-pets/