The diploma provides a comprehensive and detailed look at feline health and behaviour, expanding on what is covered in the certificate and adding further new information. It is suitable for qualified nurses and is completed over 2 years.
Ideally students will have completed the certificate before starting the diploma. However, we are able to offer an alternative route to the diploma. Candidates who have not done the certificate can complete a ‘foundation’ unit and will be provided with the notes and resources for the certificate and asked to complete 2 workbooks covering certificate areas. On passing these workbooks the remainder of the diploma course can be started.
Units covered include:
- Feline anaesthesia and analgesia: detailed information on pre-medication, induction, analgesia and maintenance of anaesthesia.
- Feline infectious disease: diagnosis, treatment and prevention of major viral, bacterial and protozoal diseases including the role of nurses in owner education.
- Non-infectious diseases: covering diseases of the major organ systems.
- Feline behavioural health and wellbeing: stress and the effect on clinical disease, behavioural problems and how to tackle them.
- Feline reproduction: normal reproductive anatomy and physiology, pregnancy and parturition, control of reproduction and congenital disease and neonatal care
- The feline expert veterinary nurse: running successful nursing clinics, the role of the nurse in feline lifestage care and disease, how to run popular nursing clinics in your practice.
The diploma course is challenging but rewarding, and will offer successful candidates the confidence to build their role within their practice. Nurses who successfully complete the course will obtain their ISFM Diploma and will be eligible to join the International Society of Feline Medicine (ISFM) Academy of Feline Nurses and use the post-nominals ISFMDipFN.
Who can complete the courses?
The courses are designed for qualified and student veterinary nurses and technicians.
When do courses start?
The next course is due to start 16th March 2017 and there will be at least one enrolment every year. You can register for the course at any time.
Cost of courses
- ISFM Certificate in Feline Friendly Nursing
Course cost: £505
- ISFM Diploma in Feline Nursing
Course cost: £1500
If your practice is a current ISFM Practice Member, there is a discount of £20 for the Certificate and £50 for the Diploma course.
The course must be fully paid up before nurses start, however if any nurse wishes to pay by installment (before the course starts) this can be arranged (see payment methods later). To begin in March 2017 , payment for the course must be received in full by 1st March 2017.
Please be aware that there will be no refund if the course is not started or completed unless there are extraordinary circumstances and this is at the discretion of International Cat Care.
How to register and pay
The next courses will begin on 16th March 2017
If you wish to pay by cheque, please use the link above to print off the form and return with your cheque made payable to International Cat Care Limited and return to International Cat Care, High Street, Tisbury, Wiltshire SP3 6LD.
If you are an individual, you may stager the payments (three payments) prior to the course commencement date, please contact the International Cat Care office 01747 871 872 and speak to Jane.
Jane Bridge, Course Administrator