At an awards ceremony at Kensington Roof Gardens in London on July 15, International Cat Care presented four new ‘Easy to Give’ awards and three ‘Cat Friendly’ awards.
The Easy to Give Awards recognise the commitment made by pharmaceutical companies in making it easier to give medication to cats. iCatCare recognises that medicines which are easier to administer make life less stressful for vets, owners and feline patients alike and ensure better compliance. Each Easy to Give Award is the considered decision of members of the International Cat Care feline expert veterinary panel as well as feedback from their clients.
Easy to Give Awards
Easy to Give winners this year are Amodip Chewable Tablets for Cats, from Ceva Animal Health, Benazecare 5mg Tablets from AnimalCare, Noroclav Chewable Tablets for Cats and Dogs from Norbrook and V-Gel from Docsinnovent. These companies will be granted the use of the Easy to Give logo on advertising to the veterinary world. These bring the total number of Easy to Give awards presented, since their inception in 2005, to 39.
- Amodip Chewable Tablets for Cats (Ceva)is the first ever cat-friendly amlodipine licensed for veterinary use for the treatment of hypertension in cats.
- Benazecare 5mg Tablets (AnimalCare) act to reduce the protein lost in urine in renal disease and increase the appetite and quality of life of cats with chronic kidney disease.
- Noraclav Chewable Tablets for Cats and Dogs (Norbrook) contain amoxicillin and clavalanic acid; because antibiotic resistance is a growing concern, having routinely used antibiotics in an easy to give and palatable formulation for cats is very important.
- V-Gel (Docsinnovent) is a supraglottic airway device for cats which enables a clear airway to be obtained quickly, efficiently and effectively for general anaesthesia and emergency resuscitation purposes without the need for traditional endotracheal intubation.
Easy to Give awards are confined to prescription only medicines (POMs) or methods of delivering POMs. International Cat Care also recognises other products that have made a real difference to cat wellbeing and welfare – these are the Cat Friendly Awards.
Cat Friendly Awards
There were four Cat Friendly winners this year – Lick-e-Lix from Webbox, Feliway Friends Diffuser from Ceva Animal Health, Kittyrama Cat Collars from Kittyrama and Beco Cat Bowl from Beco Pets.
- Lick-e-Lix (Webbox) provides a great method to help give prescription medications to cats. Owners reported that its different flavours were great for disguising and giving pills and even made this a rewarding experience.
- Feliway Friends Diffuser (Ceva)contains a synthetic copy of the cat appeasing pheromone naturally produced by a nursing mother for her kittens after birth, helping kittens feel safe and secure. This product aims to reduce tension and conflict in multicat households.
- Kittyrama Cat Collars (Kittrama)are designed to be lightweight, slim, durable and very comfortable. They also have a buckle for accurate fitting and a safety opening mechanism if the collar gets caught.
- Beco Cat Bowls (Beco Pets) are made of recyclable waste plant materials and are wide with low sides so that the cat's sensitive whiskers are not bent while eating.
For more details on the work of the charity go to www.icatcare.org.
Picture captions for attached images:
Easy to Give Award winners from left: Fleur Knapp and Iain Meneer from AnimalCare; Marie-Laure Loubiere and Sarah Endersby from Ceva; Surendra Sumaria-Shah from Docsinnovent; Lizzie Leonard-Appleton and Rachel Crowe, Norbrook.
Cat Friendly Award winners from left: Claire Bessant, iCatCare Chief Executive; Melanie Eastwood from Webbox; George Bramble from Beco Pets; James Forrester and Carolina Ballon-Forrester from Kittyrama; Abi Busk from Ceva.
All pictures from the iCatCare Annual Awards 2016 can be viewed at: http://icatcare.org/about-us-our-awards/annual-awards-2016
Jo Vuckovic, Digital Communications Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0)1747 871872
Notes to editors:
About International Cat Care (iCatCare)
A charity dedicated to the health and welfare of cats.
The International Cat Care vision:
All cats, owned and unowned, are treated with care, compassion and understanding.
The International Cat Care mission:
To engage, educate and empower people throughout the world to improve the health and welfare of cats by sharing advice, training and passion.
About the International Society of Feline Medicine (ISFM)
ISFM is the veterinary division of International Cat Care. ISFM aims to provide a worldwide resource for veterinarians on feline medicine and surgery.