Lily toxicity

All parts of the lily are toxic to cats. In fact they are so poisonous that a cat can suffer fatal kidney failure just from nibbling a leaf, licking pollen off its coat or even from drinking water from a vase with cut lilies in it.

For full details about the danger of lilies (and other poisonous plants), please see our cats and poisonous plants information.

If you think your cat may have chewed on or ingested lily, seek veterinary care immediately.

Our campaign

International Cat Care continues to campaign to get florists and garden centres to label lilies as toxic to cats, as well as ensuring other poisonous plants are highlighted.

Working with vets

Most small animal vets know that lilies can cause life-threatening renal injury to cats. In the UK, lily intoxication has been identified as amongst the top five serious intoxications of cats, and indeed it currently generates the greatest number of feline toxicological enquiries.(1)

We want vets to lobby for the widespread adoption of warning labels and posters at all locations where lilies are sold, to stop cats falling victim to this preventable condition.

To this end, ISFM (the veterinary division of International Cat Care) and the CVE (Centre for Veterinary Education, University of Sydney) have collaborated to produce artwork in a variety of formats that can be displayed at the point of sale – in supermarkets, florists and other outlets.

Please take the opportunity to download these posters and display them in your own practice and also distribute them to any outlets you have near to you that sells lilies.

NEW
Lethal lilies poster
Download poster (pdf)

 

 

 

Lilies are deadly to cats
Download a poster of this (pdf)

 

 

 

Lilies kill cats
Download a poster of this (pdf)

 

 

 

Lilies warning label
Download the label (pdf)

 

 

 

 

 

 

References

1. Grave T, Boag A. Feline toxicological emergencies. When to expect and what to do. JFMS 2010; 12: 849–60.